Amity :: Legal Information
- This Website (https://amity.copiri.com)
- Amity's Administrative Portal (https://portal.amity.copiri.com)
- Amity's Welcome Site (https://welcome.amity.copiri.com)
- King Solomon's Pass (https://i.travelsafely.app)
- The Amity Mobile Application
Please note: The Amity app is not covered by the Cookies Policy described below, since it is not a website, however it adheres to the same spirit of privacy and transparency.
- Our Cookies Policy (View as a Single Page)
- How to Submit a Data Request (View as a Single Page)
Last updated: 31 December 2019
First things first: we use apps and websites like these, too. We want our information to be safe when we use other services, and we want you to know that your information is safe when you use ours. That's our bottom line, and we want to know if you ever feel like that's not the case.
Because your privacy is our top priority, we:
- Do encrypt your data whenever it is stored or moved between parts of our service
- Do minimize the information that anyone else using our Service can see about you
- Don't ask for personal information unless we can properly secure it
- Don't store personal information on our servers unless it’s required for us to provide you this Service
- Don't share your personal information with anyone without your permission, except to develop and provide our Service, comply with the law, or protect your rights and ours
- Non-Personally-Identifying Information (“Non-PII”) is any piece of information, or any group of pieces of information, that does not in and of itself identify a specific person. Non-PII is often tangential: the fact that you have a nose, for example, is something about you that can be confirmed when someone already knows who you are; it does not, however, uniquely identify you on a planet full of other people with noses.
As you use our Service, we collect information about your usage. This information is typically of the sort that browsers and servers make available, such as browser type, language preference, referring site, the date and time of your request, etc. Our purpose in collecting non-PII is to better understand how you are using our Service. From time to time we may release non-PII in the aggregate (for example, by publishing statistics about how many people have visited our site in the last 30 days).
PII we collect and how it is used
When you choose to use our Service, we ask for information that can be used to uniquely identify you: PII. The amount and type of PII that we gather depends on how you choose to use our Service. If you use Amity, for example, we ask for your name, email address, and Lodge/Grand Lodge affiliation, at a minimum. Depending on the features of our Service that you use, we may ask for more; we can’t show you nearby Lodges, for example, unless you give us your location. In any case, we only collect enough information as we need in order to fulfill the purpose of your use of that part of our Service. You can always refuse to provide the information we ask for, but that may prevent you from being able to access parts of our Service.
If you choose to use our Service in a way that requires specific permissions or PII, we will also restrict the use and storage of the PII we receive as much as possible. For example: if you choose to provide us with your location in order to find other Masons near you, this service runs in the background and even when the app is closed. Your location data does not leave your device, however, and is not stored or processed by Copiri. On the other hand, when you search for nearby Lodges, we do send your location to our servers to find them. This only happens when you request it, though, and is not collected in the background or when the app is off.
Data we collect that may be PII
We also collect information about your usage that could be PII. This includes data like your Internet Protocol (IP) address (as part of our web server’s standard logging process) or your location (when you have enabled location services in your app or browser). We use this information to do things like fight spam, troubleshoot geographically-localized problems, and provide you with the parts of our Service that require it. Whether or not this data can uniquely identify you, though, we treat it as if it can.
PII You Provide to Third Parties
In some cases we provide Amity-branded services of third parties for increased security, and in those instances you are providing your PII directly to that third party. For example, we do not collect or store your credit card information when you make a purchase; rather, we work with our credit card processor, who is certified to perform these functions, to allow you to provide the information directly to them. This approach increases security for you, and our agreement with any such third party includes a restriction on using your PII for any other purpose than the action in question.
We collect data about your (and other Masons’) behavior as you use our Service, in order to understand and improve your experience. This data may contain PII and/or non-PII. We may then anonymize the data by removing the PII and aggregating it into general statistics. We may then display the statistics publicly (for example, which parts of our Service are most popular?), or provide them to others, such as your Lodge or Grand Lodge.
How we protect your PII
Our baseline policy is that we do not disclose PII to anyone. We don’t rent it, we don’t sell it, and we don’t give it away. There are times where sharing is necessary, though, and for those times we have developed strict processes to make sure that your PII remains protected. So, let’s be really clear about this:
- We may share your PII with the Lodge(s), Grand Lodge(s), or other bodies that you claim membership in. This is necessary in order to verify your membership, and since your use of this Service is in the context of such membership. We restrict the amount of PII shared to the greatest extent possible, and share only the data that we believe in good faith to be necessary in order for the body in question to support your membership. Data such as the contents of chats, payment details, etc. do not meet this threshold.
- We may share your PII with our employees, partners, or vendors… but only if they (a) need to know that information in order to process it on our behalf (for example, a credit card processor for dues payments), and (b) have agreed not to disclose it to others. In addition, if this type of situation arises, we provide only the PII that is absolutely necessary, and no more.
- Because we provide our Service to Masons like you all over the world, some or all of our employees, partners or vendors may be located outside of your home country; by using our Service, you agree that your PII can be transferred to them, in their home country, so that they can do their jobs. All of our employees, partners, and vendors have committed to uphold this policy and protect your data.
- We may access, preserve and share your information in response to a legal request (like a search warrant, court order or subpoena) if we have a good faith belief that the law requires us to do so. This may include responding to legal requests from jurisdictions outside of the United States where we have a good faith belief that the response is required by law in that jurisdiction, affects users in that jurisdiction, and is consistent with internationally recognized standards.
- We may access, preserve and share information when we have a good faith belief that it is necessary to detect, prevent and address fraud and other illegal activity; to protect ourselves, you and others, including as part of investigations; or to prevent death or imminent bodily harm.
- You may also choose to share your PII with other users, and in this case you are responsible for deciding what is shared and with whom. When you choose to interact with other users, such as by providing your King Solomon's Pass QR Code for them to scan, you are making the active decision to share your personal information with others. Whenever we provide the option for you to share your personal data, we also provide an option for you to limit that sharing. In King Solomon's Pass, for example, you are able to lock your Pass so that no personal information is shown when your Pass is scanned.
Now, this is important: no matter how much we work to protect your privacy, we can’t control what other Masons do with your information. If you are a member of Masonic body that uses our Service, your body’s leadership (for example, your Secretary and Grand Secretary and/or their delegates) can access some personal information you provide (such as your contact information, which they should already have, but NOT such as your payment details, messages, and other details that they would not reasonably have). Your fellow Masons can also view what you choose to share among your group.
Emails from us
Legal Bases for Processing Your Data
Copiri’s processing of your data falls into two categories, which are described in detail as follows:
- We Have a Contractual Relationship
Because you have requested a Service from Copiri (for example, the ability to find Lodges near you using Amity), even though the Service is provided at no cost, the law’s view is that you have entered into a contractual relationship with Copiri. Our legal basis for storing and processing your data in these cases is that it is required in order to provide the Service to you, and we will retain your personal data for as long as you continue to use the Amity app.
- You have Provided Consent
Retention of Your Information
Information connected to you that is no longer necessary and relevant to provide our Service may be anonymized or aggregated with other non-personal data to provide insights which are valuable to us, such as statistics of the use of our Service. For example, we may retain search or attendance records to continue to improve our Service. This information will be anonymized, and no longer associated with you.
Your Legal Rights
If the General Data Protection Regulation or the California Consumer Privacy Act applies to you (or if both do!), you have specific rights under the law(s) in relation to your personal data. To the best of our abilities and where consistent with applicable law, we provide these rights to all of our users:
- The right to know about about any profiling we do, or any automated decision making that we perform (we don’t do either of those).
- The right to request access to your data, which you may do by sending an email to email@example.com, or using the contact form here, and to receive from us a copy of the personal data we hold about you;
- The right to receive the copy of your personal data that you request from us in a common format (for example, a .csv or an XML file), if you request it;
- The right to correct any errors that you find in the personal data that we hold about you;
- The right to have the personal data we hold about you deleted ("the right to be forgotten"), in certain circumstances (unless there’s an overriding legal reason we need to keep it);
- The right to opt out of the sale of your personal data (which we don't do anyway);
- The right to restrict processing of your personal data, in certain circumstances; and
- The right to object to the processing your personal data.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or using the contact form here. You will not have to pay a fee to exercise any of the other rights. We may, however, charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive, or we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
Finally, please know that you have the right to make a complaint at any time to your relevant statutory authority. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you make a formal complaint, so please contact us first, either by email at email@example.com, or using the contact form here, to see if we can resolve the issue.
The security of your personal information is important to us. Our Service has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control, whether PII or non-PII. At a minimum we follow industry best practices to protect your information, both during transmission and once we receive it, and in many cases we exceed industry standards.
Unfortunately, no method of transmission over the Internet, and no method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. That’s another important point… but even though we can’t guarantee absolute data security, we do work to stay ahead of the curve by developing and implementing new and ever-improving security protocols and processes to protect your personal information.
Scope of this policy
- 12 SEP 2016: Initial establishment.
- 25 MAY 2018: Clarifications of existing Policy statements to include GDPR-required terminology.
- 31 DEC 2019: Updates to be more clear about the fact that PII may be shared with the organization(s) in which you claim membership; to expand our terminology from only Masonic Lodges to any Masonic bodies; and to move cookie-related language to our new Cookies Policy.
Last updated: 25 May 2018
Thank you for your interest in Copiri ("Copiri", "we", "our", or "us"), and our services (the "Service") that you can access through our applications for mobile devices (the "Mobile Apps") and our websites (the "Sites"). By installing one or more of the Mobile Apps (Amity, for example), or by continuing to use our Service, you indicate that YOU ACCEPT these Terms and the policies we describe below (collectively the "Terms"), and that YOU AGREE to follow these Terms. If at any time you do not agree with these Terms, please uninstall the Mobile Apps and stop using our Service.
Our Service consists of communication and engagement tools that allow members of an organization to interact with each other, and with their organization, in practical ways. We provide groups, communities and organizations the rights to access and use the Service through customized versions of our Mobile Apps and Sites, and tailor our Service to your organization in order to offer an exclusive experience for you and your group.
These Terms govern the use of our Service, which can be accessed through our Mobile Apps and Sites. We may change these Terms from time to time and will post changes on this website and in our Mobile Apps. We will also update the "Last Updated Date" above and provide you with a short summary at the bottom of these Terms. Most importantly, we'll notify you and give you the opportunity to review the revised policy. Your continued use of the Sites, Mobile Apps, or Service after any change in these Terms constitutes your acceptance of such change.
You must be 13 years or older to use the Service and register for an "Account." When you register, you're telling us that YOU ARE AT LEAST 13 YEARS OLD and that you plan to use the Service only on behalf of yourself.
If you are registering or using an Account with us on behalf of an organization, then you are telling us that you're authorized to represent the organization and have the authority to bind the organization to these Terms, and that you agree to these Terms on behalf of the organization. In such cases, "you", "your" or "yourself" means either your organization, and people in your organization who access and use the Service, or you as an individual user.
Summary: You must be over 13 years of age to use the Service. If you are representing an organization in your use of the Service, you must have the authority to bind such organization to these Terms.
Acceptable Use of our Service
To set up your Account, we'll ask you to provide your full name and other information in order to complete the signup process to open an Account. You agree that the information you provide to us during the signup process and at all other times will be true, accurate, current and complete. You also agree to keep this information up to date at all times.
You are solely responsible for maintaining the security of your Account and password. We are not liable for any loss or damage from your failure to maintain this security obligation. If you believe that someone else has gained access to and misused your Account, then you agree to immediately notify your organization's administrator.
You are responsible for all text, graphics, photos, video files, other data and all activity that happens under your Account (your "Content"), even if it is posted by others who have access to your Account, and even if that access is without your consent. By providing your Content within the Service, you represent that you are the creator and owner of the Content, or that you have all the necessary licenses, right, and permissions to authorize us to display the Content in the Service. If you delete Content, we will use reasonable efforts to remove it from the Service, but you acknowledge that the Content may persist in backup copies for some time. We, in our discretion, reserve the right to delete any Content without prior notice.
You shall not in any way use the Service or submit to us or to any user of the Service anything which in any respect:
- breaches any law, statute, rule or regulation of any applicable jurisdiction;
- is fraudulent, criminal or unlawful;
- is inaccurate or out-of-date;
- may be obscene, indecent, pornographic, vulgar, profane, racist, sexist, discriminatory, offensive, derogatory, harmful, harassing, threatening, embarrassing, malicious, abusive, hateful, menacing, defamatory, or untrue;
- impersonates any other person or entity; falsely claims an affiliation with any person or entity; or misrepresents the source, identity or content of information posted to the Service;
- may infringe or breach any intellectual property rights (including copyright and trademark rights) or privacy or other rights of ours or any third party;
- involves your use, delivery or transmission of any viruses, unsolicited emails, trojan horses, trap doors, back doors, easter eggs, worms, time bombs, cancelbots or computer programming routines that are intended to damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or expropriate the Service or any system, data or personal information.
If you are a leader in your organization and/or you have advanced permissions within the Service, you understand that these permissions have been provided solely and specifically to allow you to perform the duties that you have been charged with by your organization. You agree that you are acting on behalf of your organization when you leverage these advanced permissions to access any Content added by another user, and you agree to request that your permission(s) be downgraded as soon as you no longer need them to support your organization. Further, you agree that you are responsible for any actions that you take within the Service, and you agree to maintain the security of your account to a degree commensurate with the responsibility you have accepted. You agree that we are not responsible for your actions, so as part of these Terms, you agree to, and hereby do, waive any legal or equitable rights or remedies that you may have against us with respect to your actions. You also agree to hold us harmless in the event that any other user is harmed, or claims to be harmed, as a result of your actions.
Summary: You must provide us with accurate information about yourself and are responsible for keeping access to your Account secure at all times. You may submit Content to the Service to share with other users of the Service, and in doing so, you also give us with the necessary rights to display that Content in the Service. When using the Service, you agree to follow your community's standards of acceptable conduct and not break any law, or doing anything hateful or shady. You understand that some people have enhanced permissions and may see some of your Content as a result of their role in your organization and/or the permissions they have received. If you have any enhanced permissions in the Service as a result of your role within your organization, you accept responsibility for your actions with any Content that these permissions may allow you to access.
Cancellation and Termination
You are solely responsible for properly canceling your Account. Account cancellation requests must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon cancellation, any of your Content which has not previously been deleted will remain in the Service.
We have the right to suspend or terminate your Account, remove or delete your Content, and refuse any and all current or future use of the Service, or any other of our services, for any reason at any time. If you violate the letter or spirit of these Terms, or otherwise create risk or possible legal exposure for us, we can stop providing all or part of our Service to you. When we terminate your access and use of the Service, we'll deactivate your Account and/or remove your Account access, and you'll give up all Content associated with your Account. You agree that we will not be liable to you or to any third party for such termination. Even after termination, the provisions of these Terms shall remain intact.
Summary: You may cancel and we may terminate your Account at any time for any reason.
Unless we need specific rights or permissions to offer the Service, you keep all rights to all of your Content. Our Service is owned and operated by Copiri. The visual interfaces, graphics, design, compilation, information, computer code (including source code and object code), products, software, services and all other elements of the Service provided by Copiri (the "Material") are protected by United States copyright, trade dress, patent and trademark laws, international conventions and all other relevant intellectual property and proprietary rights and applicable laws. All Material contained in the Service is the property of Copiri, its subsidiaries, affiliated companies and/or licensors. All trademarks, services marks and trade names are proprietary to Copiri or its affiliates and/or licensors. You may not sell, license, distribute, copy, modify, transmit, publish, edit, adapt, create derivative works from or otherwise make unauthorized use of the Material. Copiri reserves all rights not expressly granted in these Terms.
Summary: We own the Mobile Apps, the Sites, and any data needed to provide you with our Service, but not your Content.
Content in Our Service
We haven't reviewed, and can't review, all of the content and submissions posted by third parties in the Service (including other people from your organization). We are not responsible for third parties' content, submissions or use of the Service. You understand that when using the Service, you will be exposed to content and materials posted by third parties and that we are not responsible for the quality, accuracy, usefulness or intellectual property rights of or relating to such third party content and submissions. Sometimes third party content and submissions may be inaccurate, offensive, indecent or objectionable, so as part of these Terms, you agree to, and hereby do, waive any legal or equitable rights or remedies that you may have against us with respect to such third party content. We don't endorse any third party content or submissions and we expressly disclaim any and all liability in connection with third party content and submissions.
Summary: We aren't responsible for the content and material posted by third parties in the Service.
Disclaimer of Warranties
OUR SERVICE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE." COPIRI AND ITS LICENSORS HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, STATUTORY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. NEITHER COPIRI NOR ITS LICENSORS GUARANTEE THAT THE SERVICE (INCLUDING THE DATA, YOUR CONTENT AND THIRD PARTY CONTENT AND SUBMISSIONS) OR OUR SERVICE WILL BE ERROR FREE OR THAT ACCESS THERETO WILL BE CONTINUOUS OR UNINTERRUPTED. COPIRI DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT THE SERVICE WILL BE FREE FROM LOSS, DESTRUCTION, DAMAGE, CORRUPTION, ATTACK, VIRUSES, INTERFERENCE, HACKING, OR OTHER SECURITY INTRUSION, OR WILL NOT CONTAIN CONTENT YOU DEEM OFFENSIVE, INDECENT, OR OTHERWISE OBJECTIONABLE, AND WE DISCLAIM ANY LIABILITY RELATING THERETO.
Summary: We provide the Mobile Apps and Websites "as is" and without warranty or guarantees of any kind.
Indemnification and Limitation of Liability
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold Copiri, its affiliated companies, contractors, employees, agents, licensors and partners harmless from any claims, losses, damages, liabilities, including legal fees and expenses, arising out of your use or misuse of the Service, your violation of these Terms and any posted Copiri policy or any breach of your representations, warranties, obligations and covenants. Copiri reserves the right, at your expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter for which you are required to indemnify Copiri, and you agree to cooperate with Copiri's defense of these claims. Copiri will use reasonable efforts to notify you of any such claim, action or proceeding upon becoming aware of it.
Summary: We are not responsible if you break the law, breach this agreement or the rights of a third party, especially if you get sued. The Service is "as is", so it may have errors or interruptions and we provide no warranties.
Basis of the Bargain
You acknowledge and agree that in your use of our Service, you have entered into these Terms under the conditions of the warranty disclaimers and the limitations of liability above; that the warranty disclaimers and the limitations of liability put in place a fair degree of shared risk between us; and that these Terms form the essential basis of the bargain between you and us. We would not be able to provide the Service to you on an economically reasonable basis without these limitations.
Summary: The warranty disclaimers and limitation of liability form the basis of the bargain between you and us. If we don't limit our liability, we couldn't offer the Service to you for access and use.
These Terms constitute the entire agreement between you and us. Any headers and the summaries are provided for your convenience and do not constitute binding terms or provisions of these Terms. Just because we don't exercise a specific right or provision in these Terms, it doesn't mean we are waiving the right or provision (for example, we just might not have seen the occurrence). We'll only recognize a waiver if it's been written and signed by us.
Unless stated otherwise in these Terms, notices to Copiri must be sent to email@example.com.
- 12 SEP 2016: Initial establishment.
Amity :: Data Requests
Last updated: 31 December 2019
Please note that, depending on how you, your Lodge, or your Grand Lodge use Amity, some references to you may not be deleted if your account is removed. Generally, how your data is treated is subject to the following concepts:
- If the data is entirely private in nature, it will be deleted in full. This includes data like your name, contact information, and your membership affiliations. There are, however, several important caveats to this statement, which follow...
- If the data is statistical in nature, it may be retained in an anonymized or aggregated fashion (without any reference to you) to help us improve our services. This includes data such as how many times you used our platform in a given time period.
- If the data is transactional in nature, it will be retained for billing and reference purposes. This includes data such as any purchases that you have made on our platform.
- If the data is public in nature, it will be retained for the historical record of your Lodge or Grand Lodge. This includes the fact that you may have granted permissions to others as a function of your role on our platform, any statuses that you may have certified as a function of your office, or other actions you may have taken that may need to be referenced in the future by other Masons.
- If your Lodge or Grand Lodge has chosen to use certain services provided by Amity, such as King Solomon's Pass, your membership data will be retained in order to display an accurate status when your Pass is scanned.
To submit a data request, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the contact form here. If you woud like to update your cookie settings, please click here.